Saturday, March 27, 2010

Round Robin Challenge: Up to Five Miles Away

The latest Round Robin Photo Challenge is Up to Five Miles Away...
The idea is to get in your car, or if you prefer a bike or your own two feet, and show us something in any direction you choose, up to 5 miles from your home. For a little added fun, tell us when you sign up for the challenge, in which direction you plan to go. Let's see which direction gets the most attention.
Just a few days before this challenge was posted I had ventured just east of my home to take some photos of the old abandoned rock quarry.  The quarry was in operation when I was a kid and I could occasionally catch a glimpse of the hole they were digging and could see the trucks coming and going.  As the years went by, I realized that this hole was getting mighty deep.  Too deep as it turns out.  Not too long ago they finally dug down to the water table and the hole quickly filled with water, creating a mighty deep lake.

I could always catch glimpses of the quarry from the highway, through the fence and the trees.  Finally, after ignoring a few "no trespassing" signs, I saw the quarry up-close and personal...




Here's a swampy mess that is also on the quarry property...



Here are a couple of older pics of things within five miles of my home.  A birdhouse...



...and a view of Lookout Mountain.


Posted by Picasa

Check out the Round Robin Challenge blog for more information on this challenge and a list of links to the other participants' entries.

No comments: