Tuesday, March 15, 2005

A New Blog


P10100522
Originally uploaded by fdtate.

Yes, another blog. This will be a photo blog. Hopefully, this will motivate me to get out a little more and to take more photos.

I've got crappy equipment: an Olympus D-450 that's several years old (at least five or six). I can make some adjustments on it, but it's basically a snapshot camera - 1.3 megapixels, 3x zoom. Hopefully, as time goes by, the equipment will get better, and as I get back into the practice of taking photos, the pictures will get better.

I'm posting to this blog using flickr.com. The photos aren't very big - if I make them full-sized they bleed over into the sidebar - but click on them and go to my flickr page where you can see larger versions.

This photo is of a 12-Pounder (denoting the size of the ammo) Napoleon gun of Civil War vintage. It is in someone's front yard on Missionary Ridge in Chattanooga, Tn. The barrel is made of bronze which turns green as it tarnishes.

An OOPS Update: Was doing an entry on the Napoleon on my Civil War blog when I happened to run across this picture and noticed that, oops, that's not a Napoleon. The gun in this picture is either a 6-pounder smoothbore gun or a 12-pounder rifled James.

No comments: